Saturday, June 18, 2011

Marinated Beets...Yum!

I know, I know, not everyone loves beets like I do, but I urge you to give them a try. I think you either love or hate these earthy vegetables...

So here's a quick way that I like to make beets, enjoy!

I just went down to the Farmer's Market and got these huge beets! I love during the summer
when you can buy huge bundles like this...look at this one!


I like to chop the beets before I boil them, off the leaves and stems, dont' worry about the skins,
those will come off with ease later


And chop into small pieces, this will help them cook faster,
otherwise it would take forever!

Don't throw away the greens though, you can actually cook them up later with dinner. I like to cook them with some butter and garlic for a healthy side dish.


Drop them into boiling water and cover


Once again I'm using my Great Aunt Geri's pots, I love this gift that my mom passed down to me. It is so sturdy and seasoned, I use it so much. Only downfall, the lid gets extremely HOT! It took me a while to learn this, now I pick it up with tongs or a towel

During the cooking time, I usually find myself snacking on my guilty pleasure.
A little natural peanut butter and some of Bonnie's homemade jam, Love it!!


You can check your beets periodically, but I think they usually take 30-45 minutes for me


Pull and drain the liquid, I like to run cold water on them to try to cool them down a
little so I can work with them easier


Once they've cooled down enough to touch you can easily peel the skins away


Then chop the beets into smaller pieces and put into any bowl you'd like


I like to add red onion to my beets, but white or yellow onions would work fine too


Cut the onion in half and then slice as thin as possible


Add them to the beets along with extra virgin olive oil, basalmic vinegar and salt and pepper

These seems to be cooking staples in my kitchen, love these little grinders from Trader Joe's.
They're affordable and go along ways

Done! Now you can enjoy a gourmet salad at home, just throw them on a bed of mixed greens, arugula is an awesome pairing and you're done! I also love to add some basalmic vinegarette, goat cheese and walnuts, so now you can wow your guests with this simple yet elegant salad!

Bonnie Marie's Catering




















2 comments:

  1. Thanks Rose, I love beets! I am gonna make this recipe for sure. No one else here on the ranch will eat it but I don't care. Love the blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks so good! It is only 7:30am but I want to go gets some beets right now! Lovin the blog too keep up the good work!!

    ReplyDelete