Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Red Velvet Cupcake Tutorial

So many people are in love with Red Velvet Cupcakes these days, I don't know how many events and weddings we get requests for them, so luckily I have an easy, go-to Red Velvet Cupcake Recipe that I copied from a cooking light magazine last year.

Back in my ill-fated cupcake business idea days I struggled to find the perfect traditional recipes for this Southern treat, most of the time they were too greasy or dry...but when I found this recipe I was overjoyed. It may not be super traditional, but it is easy and will come out everytime. I've shared it with many people over the years, so I thought I would show you just how I do it!

Red Velvet Cupcake Recipe
2 1/2 cups flour                   1 cup butter                           1/2 cup milk
1/2 cup cocoa powder        2 cups sugar                           2 tsp. vanilla extract
1 tsp. baking soda               4 eggs                                    2-4 tbsp Double Strength Red Food coloring
1/2 tsp. salt                         1 cup sour cream

My favorite way to bake is by getting all the ingredients out and measured ahead of time, it makes everything so easy! One this day I had our catering kitchen all to myself because I had to create 250 for a weekend wedding, yikes!

Try to remember to get the butter out ahead of time so it can come to room temperature easily. I hate when I forget this, I don't know how many nightmares I've had with just trying to microwave the butter for just a few seconds!

Combine the flour, cocoa, baking soda and salt, set aside.

Drop in the room temperature butter and beat quickly.

Add the 2 cups sugar and beat until light and fluffy, usually about 3 minutes.

Combine the milk, sour cream, vanilla and red food coloring...really doesn't look too attractive in this shot, but just mix it up!


This is the style of Red food coloring I recommend, I get mine at Smart and Final. I've tried to red gel coloring and it doesn't get as dark or vibrant as this does.

Beat the four eggs in one at a time.

I've finally mastered the one hand crack, took quite a few years...

The batter should now take on a yellow color.

Add the liquid mixture into the butter mixture.

This will be a bright, vibrant red color! It will dull during baking, so it is better to go a little darker with the red at this point if you don't feel it is enough.

I should have warned you earlier, but this is a messy project! The red food coloring can stain, so be careful. I once dropped a bottle of red food coloring in our kitchen, it shattered and it looked like a crime scene for months!

Slowly add the flour mixture to combine.

While this batter is on the final mixing stage I like to line my cupcake trays with papers so that they are ready as soon to batter is done.

It will come together to create a beautiful red batter!


I've found that using an ice cream scoop works awesome to fill the cups!


Fill the cups about 2/3 way full...this one may have gotten away from me and a little big, looks like I'll have my taste tester!


Bake in the oven for about 20-22 minutes and you've just finished your first batch of Yummy Red Velvet Cupcakes! So easy huh??


Hopefully you don't have to make 250 on your first try...only took a few hours so that wasn't too bad


Cupcakes Galore! I frost mine with homemade Cream Cheese Frosting which is also super easy!
Just combine 1 cup cream cheese, 1/2 cup butter, vanilla extract and 4-5 cups powdered sugar.

I love to add some fun details for the differnt holidays like blue sprinkles or mini-american flag toothpicks (they sell at Michaels) for 4th of July or top with Red Sugar for a more festive Christmas Dessert.

I hope you all Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. Yummmmmmmmmmmmmm--Rose this looks like a great recipe--I should try this sometime--keep posting all the time!!!!

    ReplyDelete